vendredi 18 novembre 2011

Democratic Republic of Congo: The political legacy of Patrice Emery Lumumba.


My beloved companion*,

        
I write these words without knowing whether they will reach you when they will reach you and if I'm alive when you read them.Throughout my struggle for the independence of my country, I never doubted for an instant the final triumph of the sacred cause to which my companions and I have spent all our lives.
         But what we wanted for our country, his right to an honorable life, to a spotless dignity, to independence without restrictions, Belgian colonialism and its Western allies - who have found direct and indirect support, deliberate and unintended among some senior officials of the United Nations, that body in which we placed all our confidence when we called to his assistance - have ever wanted.

        
They have corrupted some of our compatriots, they have helped to distort the truth and to defile our independence. What can I say?

        
Than dead, alive, free or in prison on the orders of the colonialists, it is not my person that counts. This is the Congo, it is our poor people, whose independence has been transformed into a cage where we look from the outside, sometimes with the voluntary compassion, sometimes with joy and pleasure.
         But my faith remains unshaken. I know and I feel deep in myself that sooner or later my people will get rid of all its internal and external enemies, it will rise as one man to say no to capitalism degrading and shameful, and to regain their dignity under a pure sun.

        
We are not alone. Africa, Asia and free and liberated people from all over the world will always be found on the side of millions of Congolese who never abandons the struggle of the day there will be more colonizers and their mercenaries in our country.

        
To my children whom I leave, and perhaps I shall never see again, I want you said that the future of the Congo is beautiful and that he expected of them, as he expects every Congolese, to accomplish the sacred task of reconstruction of our independence and our sovereignty, for without dignity there is no freedom, without justice there is no dignity, and without independence there are no free men.

        
Neither brutality, nor abuse or torture I was never asked to seek pardon, because I'd rather die head high, unshakable faith and deep trust in the destiny of my country, rather than live in submission and scorn sacred principles.
         History will one day have its say, but it will not teached  the in Brussels, in Washington, in Paris or in the United Nations, but one we teach in countries freed from colonialism and its puppets. Africa will write its own history and it will be from north and south of the Sahara, a history of glory and dignity.
         Do not cry, my companion. I know my country, which suffers so much, will defend its independence and freedom.

Long live the Congo!

Long live to Africa!

__________________________________________
*This letter was addressed to the mother of his sons and daughter, Pauline Opango before his assassination in Katanga on 17th January 1961.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire