jeudi 17 novembre 2011

Greece: Get out of my sun!


On his arrival in Athens, Alexander the Great (356-323 BC.) asks to meet the philosopher of the most famous Cynic school, Diogenes of Sinope or the Cynic (413-323 BC.), who sought the wisdom in living in poverty.
         Dressed in a coarse coat walking barefoot, he slept in a "pithos", that is to say a big jar, owned nothing and lived on the alms of his listeners or its patrons.
Alexander approached the old man and greets him:
I am Alexander the Great!”
Diogenes looks at him and replied:
And I am Diogenes, the dog!”
Alexander seeing him so poor, asked him:
“Ask what you want, I will give it!”
Ironically Diogenes replied:
"Get out of my sun!"
“Don 't you not afraid of me?”
Who are you? A good or bad?”
A well.”
Who could fear the good?”
Alexander appreciates the spirit of the philosopher and goes on to say:
If I were not Alexander, I would like to be Diogenes.”
This story was immortalized in an oil on canvas painted in 1818 by the french painter Nicolas-André Monsiau (1754-1837).

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire