dimanche 4 décembre 2011

Ivory Coast: A proposal "grotesque" that could have saved Laurent Gbagbo.

 In his book "Ivory Coast, a coup”, with a foreword by former President of South Africa Thabo Mbeki (1999-2008), published by Duboiris in Paris in 2011, the Cameroonian journalist Charles Onana repeat the words of the former Ivorian President Laurent Gbagbo on the day of his fall April 11, 2011. These comments are included in The New Courier of November 23, 2011, an Ivorian daily.
         "A deputy U.S. secretary of state called me and talked for at least an hour. He told me that if I left the office, I would not be continued, I could go into exile with sixty-four people around me and all would be supported. As for me, I would be housed, fed and white, I work and income equivalent to $ 2 million, etc.. This conversation or rather monologue was surreal.
         There was such a disconnect between what this man said and the reality that I lived with the Ivorian people that his speech was indigestible. I finally hung up, tired of hearing hold forth on the proposals that awaited me if I would step down. I thought there was something strange in this speech. What was the topic? (...) Shortly after that phone call strange, my advisors tell me that Hillary Clinton is seeking to join me on the phone.
         I refuse to take the call because I am convinced that I will still spend time to hear again the same proposals. She finally sent a message to offer me something or other. I have not even opened the envelope.
         After Hillary Clinton, President Obama called me directly in turn. Again, I refused to take the call. I did not want to listen to or hear the boring speeches and proposals grotesque they inflicted on my ears. "

         On November 29, 2011, Laurent Gbagbo is charged with crimes against humanity for murder, rape and other sexual violence, persecution and other inhumane acts by the International Criminal Court (ICC) and transferred at the prison in Scheveningen, a suburb of The Hague (Netherlands) for trial. Where he must regret the generous offer of the United States that opened a way out largely honorable.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire