jeudi 15 décembre 2011

Senegal: The worship of a tree turns to idolatry.

 A tree located in the remains of Serigne Fallou Mbacke (1888-1968), the second caliph of the founder of Mouridism in Senegal attracts hundreds of Talibés (Disciples) who attribute the therapeutic and some mystical power.
         The tree known as the Nguy Guiss used shading to light Serigne Mbacke Mouhamadou Fadel, who was based there to oversee the construction of the Grand Mosque opened June 7, 1963.
         The Talibés come to lie under the tree on its back and belly, embrace it and make prayers before throwing coins and banknotes in the vaults of circumstances placed around the tree. In exchange, they tear off the leaves and bark they take home.
         Mbena Ndiaye, a housewife encountered on the scene, says: "I am seven months pregnant and my mother advised me to get the leaves that I have to soak in water and recite seven times the name of Serigne Fallou when I feel pain. Thus, 'she assured, I will give birth without any problems. "
        
Ms Mbeni is not an isolated case because, during our visit, there was a significant movement of crowds around the tree that would, in the eyes of Mbaye Diene, a sexagenarian, "therapeutic value".
         "This tree brings good luck. I know something, because one day I came here to pray that God hears my prayers for a problem that was close to my heart, and this occurred within forty-eight hours after my prayer. "
        
The Mouride brotherhood is a major Sufi, a mystical branch of Islam, this particularly in Senegal and Gambia.
         It was founded in the early twentieth century by Sheikh Amadou Bamba Khadimou Rasul (1853-1927). The Mouride brotherhood now form the most influential of Senegal, if not West Africa and play an important economic and political.
         President Abdoulaye Wade, elected in 2000, is the first Mouride president of Senegal.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire