mardi 17 janvier 2012

Germany: The Stranger fate of Mördlareuth, "Little Berlin"

 
Small village located between Thuringia and Bavaria in Germany, halfway between Berlin and Munich, Mördlareuth experienced an extraordinary destiny.
        
Straddles two Länder, Thuringia (East Germany) and Bavaria (West Germany), it was bisected by an impenetrable wall for 26 years, hence its nickname "Little Berlin ".
        
Mördlareuth is crossed by a small stream insignificant, the Tannbach which had long been the administrative border between religious and political entities of Thuringia and Franconia.

        
The origins of the border go far back in history between the principalities of Bayreuth and Reuss-Schleiz, can still read the original KB (Königreich Bayern, Kingdom of Bavaria) and FR (Fürstentum Reu B, Principality of Reuss).

        
From 1806 in the wake of Napoleon's troops, half of the village belonging to the state of Brandenburg was placed under French administration. In the summer of 1810, it became part of Bavaria.

        
After the First World War, the town depended for half of Bavaria and Thuringia. The village school and the hostel were in the territory while for religious services, all the villagers went to church in the nearby village of Töpen.

        
After the Second World War, Germany was divided into four occupation zones based on the old boundaries of 1937.

        
The territory on the left bank of Thannbach was administered by the Americans, that of the left was administered by the Soviets.

        
Children Mördlareuth were in the same school and the hostel was open to all. In May 1949, the Federal Republic of Germany (FRG) is endowed the "Grundgesetz or Basic Law" and in October of that year was formed the German Democratic Republic (GDR). Now Mördlareuth half belonged to the FRG, and the other in the GDR. We could cross the stream Tannbach with a pass.

        
In May 1952, the R.D.A. adopted stringent measures to protect the borders (shaving of the villages border protection area, prohibited areas, deportation of the inhabitants within the country, curfew, etc ...). The inhabitants of the locality "Upper Mill (the mill from the top)" were the first to Mödlareuth affected, but were able to flee to Bavaria in extremis. In 1966, a wall 700 meters long and 3.30 high made of concrete embedded into each other was erected a few weeks.
         A real Iron Curtain guarded day and night, cutting the village in two and made known by the Americans "Little Berlin". Until June 17, 1990 when a backhoe came to shoot him. It inaugurated the Museum of German-German Mödlareuth.

        
But the division still exists because the northern village of Thuringia depends on the town of Gefell and the southern part depends Töpen. They have two different mayors who run fifty each administered with postal codes, codes and different license plates.

        
To greet the Thuringians say "Guten Tag (hello)" while the Bavarians on the other side of Thannbach say "Grüss Gott (God greet you)."

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire